Mobile Number Portability (MNP) allows the subscribers to retain their existing mobile telephone number when they move from one Access Provider to another irrespective of the mobile technology or from one cellular mobile technology to another of the same Access Provider, in a licensed service area.
What is Mobile Number Portability (MNP) ?
Mobile Number Portability (MNP) allows the subscribers to retain their existing mobile telephone number when they move from one Access Provider to another irrespective of the mobile technology or from one cellular mobile technology to another of the same Access Provider, in a licensed service area. The facility of retention of existing mobile telephone number despite moving to a new telecom service provider helps the subscriber maintain contact with his friends/clientele. Introduction of MNP also helps in increasing competition between the service providers and acts as a catalyst for the service providers to improve their quality of service.
Number Portability is not required for phone services to work but it is an added convenience for consumers and businesses and a competitive differentiator for service providers. Without Number Portability consumers who wish to change service providers would not be able to keep the same phone number
What are the benefits for subscribers?
- Keep their telephone number no matter who their operator is.
- Maintain their identity and contacts.
- Better service bundles with lower prices.
- Competitive tariff package will be offered by all providers.
- Survival of the most competent and promising providers in the market.
What are the benefits for mobile industry?
- Healthy competition between providers.
- Updated networks which result in better services.
- One less barrier for competition, making competition on a more fair basis.
- Less entry barriers for new entrants.
What is the operator’s view on Number Portability?
It varies from operator to operator. Some operators are opposed to Number Portability because it does make the market more competitive; others support it because it opens new market opportunities and results in increased customer satisfaction. Interestingly, as number portability continues to rollout across the globe, operators have embraced it and the value it has provided to their subscribers.
How much do I pay for changing the operator using MNP?
Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has fixed Rs.19 for the Mobile Number Portability Per Port Transaction Charge and the dipping charge is left to mutual negotiation between the telecom service providers and the respective MNP service providers.
|Per Port Transaction Charge||Rs 18.83|
|License fee @1%||Rs 0.19|
|Total Per Port Transaction Charge(rounded off)||Rs 19.00|
What is the procedure to change the operator?
- The subscriber must submit a letter to the existing service provider, stating that he/she wishes to transfer their number to a new mobile service operator.
- Within 5 days there will be a subscriber verification and identification by the existing service provider.
- Within 2 days of verification, the application is to be sent to the clearing house to import/export the number.
- The service providers must inform the customer about the exact date and time the porting will take place.
Terms and conditions:
- subscriber should stay 90 days or more. This prevents frequent change of provider and reduces the load on the porting database.
- Rs.19 to be paid to the gaining provider.
- The porting request may be cancelled within 24-hours of making the application, but the porting fee will be non-refundable.
- Post-paid customers can transfer their numbers only if they have cleared all outstanding payments.
- The gaining provider, is not bound to pay any deposits or outstanding which are due from the old provider.
Can I keep my number if I move to another state(i.e, other circle)?
No,DOT has decided to implement Mobile Number Portability (MNP) within a circle. Thus a consumer can port their number to another service provider as long as it is done within their circle. Portability between other circles (called Inter circle portability) is not allowed as yet.